Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 75 - Huh


A little physical therapy update.

Last week my doctor recommended I see a PT. He said there was one in his office that was great. I thought about making an appointment with him, but it's a bit too far up-town and I figured if I have to go like 2-3x a week, I'd prefer one closer to my office. So I disregard his recommendation and begin my search.

I went to my insurance company's provider search and found a couple close ones. I took a look at each of there websites. And decided to call the one with the best site. (Being an interactive creative director I have issues trusting organizations with crappy sites) The receptionist who answered my call didn't have the professional sound I expected. She was an extremely loud talker, kind of crass and a little too um, something. I tend to pass judgements too quickly sometimes so I decided to ignore my gut and schedule an appointment.

So today at noon I began my 6 block trek down to their office in a crazy typhoon like rain storm with 20 mile/hr winds. Every now and then I had to dodge a flying broken umbrella. 5th ave was littered with them. Anyway, I finally get to the office.

The lobby is a bit shady and shoddy looking and as it turns out — they are located on a 6th floor walk up!

HUH?? What the hell? Who the hell thought it was a good idea to open up a PT office at the top of a walk up?

Once again, I should have trusted my gut, but I choose to give them a shot.

I finally make my way to the top and that's when I just had enough. The office was shabby and dirty looking. Exercise equipment was placed in the waiting room along with ripped seats that were taped up. There was no one in the waiting room except for some weirdo wearing pink scrubs. Who, by the way, I would never let touch me. Not even for a billion dollars.

The receptionist asked if she could help me and all I could say was...

Did you guys really think it was a good idea to rent space at the top of a 6th floor walk up? I mean seriously. How do your patients even make it up here?

I was definitely a bit snotty and um bitchy.

She smiled and said, oh I'm sorry I never asked what was wrong with you on the phone. I told her don't worry about it because I will not be staying for my appointment. Thanks anyway. And I ran the hell outta there.

Lessons learned:
follow recommendations
trust your gut
don't trust a book by it's website

2 comments:

  1. Having run a small business, I've found that often the crappy websites are good indicators that you'll get good service.

    Three reasons:

    1.They're a small business that will have the time to really take care of you.

    2.They don't have the extra cash for a flashy website so they'll be grateful for your business.

    3.They don't know a lot about internet stuff because they're busy being good at their craft, whatever it may be.

    Funny story though, like something out of Seinfeld! Can't you see George Costanza freaking out about this in the waiting room!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your gut guides you to a good PT now.

    ReplyDelete